httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Akins <brian.ak...@turner.com>
Subject Re: mod_cache responsibilities vs mod_xxx_cache provider responsibilities
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:27:48 GMT
Issac Goldstand wrote:
> I don't understand why bother getting so complex.  Touch/truncate the
> body file when storing the header, and then a missing body means things
> have gone amok - retry the request.  Conversely, a zero-length, or < C-L
> body length means another thread is working on the body.

unless 0 is a valid content-length, which it can be.  Also, what about
when we are reading something in without a know C-L, for example from an
origin doing chunks?

>  > You're right, this is a tricky one, but there is a solution out there.
> Maybe we're attacking the problem from the wrong angle.  Rather than
> modifying mod_cache, modify the garbage-collector (e.g., htcacheclean).
> Do a two pass cleanup.

I think it's insane that it has to traverse the directory structure to
do find the objects.  There should be an index of objects.  Traversing
the tree can be a huge hit on large, busy structures.

--
Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer