httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Akins <>
Subject Re: mod_cache responsibilities vs mod_xxx_cache provider responsibilities
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:22:42 GMT
Niklas Edmundsson wrote:
don't care about performance...
> Actually, cache on xfs mounted with atime doesn't seem to be a
> performance killer oddly enough... Our frontends had no problems
> surviving 1k requests/s during the latest mozilla-update-barrage.

1k requests/second is not really that much...  10k requests/second is
more what I'm used to.  XFS sucks for us as a cache storage.  It tends
to crock under some traffic patterns (reads vs writes).  ext3 is
actually more reliable for us.  Reiserfs is interesting, but tends to go
haywire from time to time.

We clean our cache often because we have a really quick way to find the
size and remove the oldest expired objects first.  Every cache store
gets recorded in SQLite with info about the object (size, mtime, expire
time, url, key, etc.).  Makes it trivial tow write cron jobs to do cache

Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer
Turner Digital Media Technologies

View raw message