httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Akins <brian.ak...@turner.com>
Subject Re: mod_cache responsibilities vs mod_xxx_cache provider responsibilities
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:14:45 GMT
Niklas Edmundsson wrote:

> Extra tracking sounds unnecessary if you can do it in a way that
> doesn't need it.

It's not "extra" it just adding some tracking.  When an objects gets
cached log (sql, db, whatever) that /blah/foo/bar.html is cached as
/cache/x/y/something.meta.  Then it's very easy to ask the "store" what
is /blah/foo/bar.html cached as?  There may be multiples because of vary.

> * Clients read from the cache as files are being cached.

That's the hard one, IMO

> * Only one session caches the same file.

Easy to do if we use deterministic tmp files and not the way we
currently do it.  Then all you have to do is when creating temp files
use O_EXCL.

> * Header/Body updates.

Eaiser with seperate files like mod_disk_cache does now.

> * No index/files out-of-sync issues. Ever.

Hard to guarantee, but not impossible.  Always to index when storing
file and remove when deleting.  This should use something like providers
so it's not in core cache code and can be easily modified.

> With locks, yes it's possible but also a hassle to get right with
> performance intact.

Not really that hard.  Trust me it has been done...

> We, as a ftp mirror operated by a non-profit computer club, have a
> slightly different usecase with single files larger than machine RAM
> and a working set of approx 40 times larger than RAM. Some bad design
> decisions in mod_disk_cache becomes really visible in this
> environment.

Seems to me you should approach problem differently, like rsyncing the
mirrored content.  I don't know your environment, but was just what I
cam up with off the top of my head.

--
Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer