httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Akins <brian.ak...@turner.com>
Subject Re: mod_cache responsibilities vs mod_xxx_cache provider responsibilities
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2006 18:05:12 GMT
Niklas Edmundsson wrote:
> Will it be possible to do away with "one file for headers and one file
> for body" in mod_disk_cache with this scheme?
>
> The thing is that I've been pounding seriously at mod_disk_cache to
> make it able to sustain rather heavy load on not-so-heavy equipment,
> and part of that effort was to wrap headers and body into one file for
> mainly the following purposes:

The separate header and body files work wonderfully for performance
(filling multiple gig interfaces and/or 30k requests/sec. or rather
modest hardware).  If you have them all in one, it can make the sendfile
for the body cumbersome.

If you somehow track what "entries" or in the cache, it is very easy to
purge entries.

At Apachecon, I'll talk some about our version of mod_cache.
Unfortunately, I can't share code :( But I can tell you the separate
files way is not a performance or housekeeping issue.

--
Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer