httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Issac Goldstand <mar...@beamartyr.net>
Subject mod_cache responsibilities vs mod_xxx_cache provider responsibilities
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 19:29:54 GMT
Hi all,
  I've been hacking at mod_cache a bit, and was surprised to find that
part of the decision to serve previously cached content or not was being
made by the backend provider and not mod_cache; specifically, the
expiration date of the content seems to be checked by mod_disk_cache (as
part of open_entity), and if the provider check fails, mod_cache doesn't
even know about the entity (and therefore, in the case of a caching
proxy,  can't treat it as a possibly stale entity upon which it can just
do a conditional GET and possibly get a 304, rather than requiring
mod_proxy to rerequest the entire entity again).

When I originally started looking at the family of cache modules, I
assumed that all of the decision-making logic would be in mod_cache,
while the mod_xxx_cache providers would be "dumb" file-stores (at least,
as far as mod_cache is concerned).  Is this not the case?

If it is, would patches be acceptable if I have the time to try to
rectify the situation (at least somewhat)?

  Issac