httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r440337 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: ./ include/ modules/arch/netware/ modules/experimental/ modules/generators/ modules/http/ modules/mappers/ modules/proxy/ modules/ssl/ server/ server/mpm/beos/ server/mpm/experimental/event/ server/mpm/exper...
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2006 21:49:51 GMT
Brian Akins wrote:
> Ruediger Pluem wrote:
>
>> 1. If we stick to
>>
>> AP_DECLARE(const char *) ap_get_server_version(void);
>>
>> and do
>>
>> #define ap_get_server_banner ap_get_server_version
>

> I hate macros.  Just do it like:
>
> AP_DECLARE(const char *) ap_get_server_banner() {
>     return ap_get_server_version();
> }
>
> That way, it gets a symbol rather than disappearing after compile.

If we do that, we break backwards compatibility that otherwise existed
back to 2.0.44 for anyone who uses the new symbol.

I'd skip the idea of backporting; there's no way to do this and still
retain this backwards module compatibility across minor versions.
Let's just move on 2.4.0 at our first opportunity.