httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r440337 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: ./ include/ modules/arch/netware/ modules/experimental/ modules/generators/ modules/http/ modules/mappers/ modules/proxy/ modules/ssl/ server/ server/mpm/beos/ server/mpm/experimental/event/ server/mpm/exper...
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2006 20:15:07 GMT

On 09/05/2006 03:08 PM, wrote:
> Author: trawick
> Date: Tue Sep  5 06:08:15 2006
> New Revision: 440337

> Log:
> Replace ap_get_server_version with ap_get_server_banner() and
> ap_get_server_description().
>
> High-level summary:
>
> The full server version information is now included in the error log at
> startup as well as server status reports, irrespective of the setting
> of the ServerTokens directive.
>
> Third-party modules must now use ap_get_server_banner() or
> ap_get_server_description() in place of ap_get_server_version().
>

>  /**
> - * Get the server version string
> - * @return The server version string
> + * Get the server banner in a form suitable for sending over the
> + * network, with the level of information controlled by the
> + * ServerTokens directive.
> + * @return The server banner
>   */
> -AP_DECLARE(const char *) ap_get_server_version(void);
> +AP_DECLARE(const char *) ap_get_server_banner(void);

Two comments:

1. If we stick to

AP_DECLARE(const char *) ap_get_server_version(void);

and do

#define ap_get_server_banner ap_get_server_version

I guess we can backport this without breaking binary compatibility and the need
for a major bump (on trunk the major bump makes sense to me). Given the fact that
we want to calm certain FAQ requests it would make sense to me to backport it.

2. On trunk shouldn't we add

#define ap_get_server_version ap_get_server_banner

While this still breaks binary compatibility it would allow modules using ap_get_server_version
to compile against trunk. Maybe we could mark ap_get_server_version as deprecated on trunk.
I am not a macro expert, but maybe it is even possible to spit out a warning if ap_get_server_version
is used.

Thoughts?

Regards

RĂ¼diger