httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [Vote] create modules-dev@httpd.apache.org?
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 20:06:37 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Project Committee Members...
>
> Adopt modules-dev@httpd.apache.org, seeded from apache-modules@covalent.net
> current subscribers, for module authors to use for peer developer support?
> (API 'users', essentially.)
>
>   [X]  +1
>   [ ]  +/-0
>   [ ]  -1

I believe its good to have an email based hangout for our module authoring
community.  The only thing that I would suggest is we have at least three
PMC members participating (that old 'oversite' thing).  Not that there is
much to oversee other than tell folks to take the real bugs/design issues
back to dev@httpd (or dev@apr) and to take end user questions up with the
module author or users@httpd list.

It's nutty to expect modules authors need to follow all the internals here
at dev@httpd, it's a work in progress.  Folks are regularly brushed off with
a 'see the code' in response to basic authoring questions.  BUT when they
have a productive suggestion, they should be encouraged to bring it -here-,
not debate the API design on modules-dev@ (at least not if they want their
suggestion considered and implemented).

My 2c, it is a perfectly rational fit here at the httpd project.