httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: load balancer and http(s) sticky sessions
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 18:44:14 GMT

On Sep 14, 2006, at 9:37 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

>>> That's what I'm thinking, sort of like an 'autostickysession'
>>> attribute.
>>> We could even have it default to cookies but add something like
>>> 'autostickysession=url' to force URL rewriting and adding a tag
>>> to the end of the URL (for sites that don't like cookies)....
>>
>> I don't care about sites that don't like cookies, how about that :)
>>

> Hey, I was being generous :)

It's not always up to the site, either... clients may not grok
cookies (or actively decline saving them). We'd have to stick the LB
session in the URL (using some pathinfo goodness? And strip it off
before sending the request to the backend?) initially and switch to
cookies once the client sends one back.

S.