httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Christophe Jaillet" <christophe.jail...@wanadoo.fr>
Subject Re: [STATUS] (httpd-trunk) Wed Aug 2 23:48:55 2006
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 05:51:13 GMT
In the section :
RELEASE NON-SHOWSTOPPERS BUT WOULD BE REAL NICE TO WRAP THESE UP:,

I think that the first link should target :
http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&product=Apache+httpd-2&keywords=PatchAvailable

(the difference is product=Apache+httpd-2 instead of
product=Apache+httpd-2.0)

The link in the post gives no result, whereas this one hits 120.

Christophe Jaillet

https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&product=Apache+httpd-2&keywords=PatchAvailable

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-dev&m=105451701628081&w=2

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-dev&m=105366252619530&w=2

http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&product=Apache+httpd-2.0&keywords=PatchAvailable

>     * Filter stacks and subrequests, redirects and fast redirects.
>       There's at least one PR that suffers from the current unclean
behaviour
>       (which lets the server send garbage): PR 17629
>       nd says: Every subrequest should get its own filter stack with the
>                subreq_core filter as bottom-most. That filter does two
things:
>                  - swallow EOS buckets
>                  - redirect the data stream to the upper request's
(rr->main)
>                    filter chain directly after the subrequest's starting
>                    point.
>                Once we have a clean solution, we can try to optimize
>                it, so that the server won't be slow down too much.
>
>     * RFC 2616 violations.
>       Closed PRs: 15857.
>       Open PRs: 15852, 15859, 15861, 15864, 15865, 15866, 15868, 15869,
>                 15870, 16120, 16125, 16126, 16133, 16135, 16136, 16137,
>                 16138, 16139, 16140, 16142, 16518, 16520, 16521,
>       jerenkrantz says: need to decide how many we need to backport and/or
>                         if these rise to showstopper status.
>       wrowe suggests: it would be nice to see "MUST" v.s. "SHOULD" v.s.
"MAY"
>                       out of this list, without reviewing them
individually.

>     * There is a bug in how we sort some hooks, at least the pre-config
>       hook.  The first time we call the hooks, they are in the correct
>       order, but the second time, we don't sort them correctly.
Currently,
>       the modules/http/config.m4 file has been renamed to
>       modules/http/config2.m4 to work around this problem, it should moved
>       back when this is fixed.
>
>         OtherBill offers that this is a SERIOUS problem.  We do not sort
>         correctly by the ordering arguments passed to the register hook
>         functions.  This was proven when I reordered the open_logs hook
>         to attempt to open the error logs prior to the access logs.
Possibly
> [...]
>       how the Perchild MPM should be re-written.  It hasn't worked
>       correctly since filters were added because it wasn't possible to
>       get the content that had already been written and the socket at
>       the same time.  This mode lets us do that, so the MPM can be
>       fixed.
>
>     * Can a static httpd be built reliably?
>
>     * Usage of APR_BRIGADE_NORMALIZE in core_input_filter should be
>       removed if possible.
>         Jeff wonders if we still care about this.  It is no longer an
>         API issue but simply an extra trip through the brigade.
>
>     * Get perchild to work on platforms other than Linux. This
>       will require a portable mechanism to pass data and file/socket
>       descriptors between vhost child groups. An API was proposed
>       on dev@apr:
>
>     * Try to get libtool inter-library dependency code working on AIX.
>
>       Justin says: If we get it working on AIX, we can enable this
>                    on all platforms and clean up our build system
>                    somewhat.
>       Jeff says:   I thought I tested a patch for you sometime in
>                    January that you were going to commit within a few
>                    days.
>
>     * Handling of %2f in URIs.  Currently both 1.3 and 2.0
>       completely disallow %2f in the request URI path (see
>       ap_unescape_url() in util.c).  It's permitted and passed
>       through in the query string, however.  Roy says the
>       original reason for disallowing it, from five years ago,
>       was to protect CGI scripts that applied PATH_INFO to
>       a filesystem location and which might be tricked by
>       ..%2f..%2f(...).  We *should* allow path-info of the
>       form 'http://foo.com/index.cgi/path/to/path%2finfo'.
>       Since we've revamped a lot of our processing of path
>       segments, it would be nice to allow this, or at least
>       allow it conditionally with a directive.
>
>         OtherBill adds that %2f as the SECOND character of a multibyte
>         sequence causes the request to fail!  This happens notably in
>         the ja-jis encoding.
>
>     * FreeBSD, threads, and worker MPM.  All seems to work fine
>       if you only have one worker process with many threads.  Add
>       a second worker process and the accept lock seems to be
>       lost.  This might be an APR issue with how it deals with
>       the child_init hook (i.e. the fcntl lock needs to be resynced).
>       More examination and analysis is required.
versions.
>                 This has also been reported on Cygwin.
>
>     * There is increasing demand from module writers for an API
>       that will allow them to control the server à la apachectl.
>       Reasons include sole-function servers that need to die if
>       an external dependency (e.g., a database) fails, et cetera.
>       Perhaps something in the (ever more abused) scoreboard?
>
>              On the other hand, we already have a pipe that goes between
parent
>              and child for graceful shutdown events, along with an API
that
>              can be used to send a message down that pipe.  In threaded
MPMs,
>              it is easy enough to make that one pipe be used for graceful
>              and graceless events, and it is also easy to open that pipe
>              to both parent and child for writing.  Then we just need to
>              figure out how to do graceless on non-threaded MPMs.
>
>     * Allow the DocumentRoot directive within <Location > scopes?  This
>       allows the beloved (crusty) Alias /foo/ /somepath/foo/ followed
>       by a <Directory /somepath/foo> to become simply
>       <Location /foo/> DocumentRoot /somefile/foo (IMHO a bit more legible
>       and in-your-face.)  DocumentRoot unset would be accepted [and would
>       not permit content to be served, only virtual resources such as
>       server-info or server-status.
>       This proposed change would _not_ depricate Alias.
>         striker: See the thread starting with Message-ID:
>           JLEGKKNELMHCJPNMOKHOGEEJFBAA.striker@apache.org.
>
>     * Win32: Rotatelogs sometimes is not terminated when Apache
>       goes down hard.  FirstBill was looking at possibly tracking the
>       child's-child processes in the parent process.
>         stoddard: Shared scoreboard might offer a good way for the parent
>         to keep track of 'other child' processes and whack them if the
child
>         goes down.
>         Other thoughts on walking the process chain using the NT kernel
>         have also been proposed on APR.
>
>     * Eliminate unnecessary creation of pipes in mod_cgid
>
>     * Combine log_child and piped_log_spawn. Clean up http_log.c.
>       Common logging API.
>
>     * Platforms that do not support fork (primarily Win32 and AS/400)
>       Architect start-up code that avoids initializing all the modules
>       in the parent process on platforms that do not support fork.
>
>     * There are still a number of places in the code where we are
>       losing error status (i.e. throwing away the error returned by a
>       system call and replacing it with a generic error code)
>
>     * Mass vhosting version of suEXEC.
>
>     * All DBMs suffer from confusion in support/dbmmanage (perl script)
since
> [...]
>
>     * Explore use of a post-config hook for the code in http_main.c which
>       calls ap_fixup_virutal_hosts(), ap_fini_vhost_config(), and
>       ap_sort_hooks()  [to reduce the logic in main()]
>
>     * read the config tree just once, and process N times (as necessary)
>
>     * (possibly) use UUIDs in mod_unique_id and/or mod_usertrack
>
>     * (possibly) port the bug fix for PR 6942 (segv when LoadModule is put
>       into a VirtualHost container) to 2.0.
>
>     * shift stuff to mod_core.h
>
>     * callers of ap_run_create_request() should check the return value
>       for failure (Doug volunteers)
>
>     * Fix the worker MPM to use POD to kill child processes instead
>       of ap_os_killpg, regardless of how they should die.
>
>         chrisd: Is this done, by any chance?  See r92598 and r93358.
>
>     * Scoreboard structures could be changed in the future such that
>       proper alignment is not maintained, leading to segfaults on
>       some systems.  Cliff posted a patch to deal with this issue but
>       later recanted. See this message to dev@apr.apache.org:
>
>     * APXS either needs to be fixed completely for use when apr is out of
tree,
>       or it should drop query mode altogether, and we just grow an
>       httpd-config or similar arrangement.
>       To quote a discussion in STATUS earlier:
>
>           thommay: this doesn't fix all the problems with apxs and out of
>                    tree apr/apr-util, but it's a good start. There's still
the
>                    query cases; but I'm beginning to think that in these
cases
>                    the app should be querying ap{r,u}-config directly
>           gstein: agreed. apxs should deprecate the -q flag
>           pquerna: I vote for a httpd-config, and to deprecate the -q
flag.
>           minfrin: +1 for httpd-config, and to deprecate -q.
>

> TODO ISSUES REMAINING IN MOD_SSL:
>
>     * Do we need SSL_set_read_ahead()?
>
>     * the ssl_expr api is NOT THREAD SAFE.  race conditions exist:
>        -in ssl_expr_comp() if SSLRequire is used in .htaccess
>         (ssl_expr_info is global)
>        -is ssl_expr_eval() if there is an error
>         (ssl_expr_error is global)
>
>     * SSLRequire directive (parsing of) leaks memory
>
>     * Diffie-Hellman-Parameters for temporary keys are hardcoded in
>       ssl_engine_dh.c, while the comment in ssl_engine_kernel.c says:
>       "it is suggested that keys be changed daily or every 500
>       transactions, and more often if possible."
>
>     * ssl_var_lookup could be rewritten to be MUCH faster
>
>     * CRL callback should be pluggable
>
>     * session cache store should be pluggable
>
>     * init functions should return status code rather than ssl_die()
>
>     * ssl_engine_pphrase.c needs to be reworked so it is generic enough
>       to also decrypt proxy keys
>
> WISH LIST
>     * mod_proxy: Ability to run SSL over proxy gateway connections,
>       encrypting (or reencrypting) at the proxy.
>
>     * mod_cache: Handle ESI tags.
>
>     * mod_cache: Resolve issue of how to cache page fragements (or perhaps
>       -if- we want to cache page fragements). Today,
mod_cache/mod_mem_cache