httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Niklas Edmundsson <>
Subject Re: Memory usage in apache
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:39:53 GMT
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Brian Akins wrote:

>> so.. I was wondering if anybody has looked at a lightweight apache, or
>> other ways to reduce it's memory footprint.
> Once you load something like mod_python or mod_perl, it's not really "Apache
> memory" that's your problem.  Apache can be slimmed down to 8-32 MB
> (depending on modules and config) fairly easily just by removing unwanted
> cruft.  Most mod_xxx programming stuff tend to cache alot of stuff in RAM.

Also, when saying "Apache memory" do you mean real memory or just the
virtual address space? When using a threaded mpm the virtual size of
each process can get rather big if each thread has a large stack, but
that doesn't necessarily mean that apache is a memory hog. However,
since the only way to reliably limit memory usage on Linux boxen are
to limit on the vmem size this might be what's biting you...

  Niklas Edmundsson, Admin @ {acc,hpc2n}      |
  " boldly go where no mallard has gone before!" - Darkwing Duck

View raw message