httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] product name - for shipping versions
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 00:59:47 GMT
On Aug 10, 2006, at 12:26 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>> Roy would prefer we determine the active consensus.  Please vote
>> for what
>> you believe is the principal, proper name of the product we create
>> from
>> the sources located in the http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/
>> httpd/
>> repository (vote for one);
>>
>> This reflects the name of the -current releases- only, we aren't
>> asking you to
>> choose (or add) your desired name for -future versions-.
>>
>>  httpd                fielding (implicit)
>>  Apache httpd
>>  Apache httpd Server
>>  Apache HTTP Server   wrowe, nd, sctemme, maxime
>>  Apache               niq (implicit)
>
> Pretty darned quiet - either "it's summer" or nobody feels like
> joining the fray
> when Roy and Will go at it?
>
> In any case, although I don't disagree with niq that almost
> everyone knows this
> as 'Apache', that isn't/cannot be our product name, and I think
> just about all
> here would agree.  The clever Apache Web Server was interesting,
> but in the
> archives that was considered/eliminated on several occasions in the
> past.

I think it would have been more effective to place a list of product
names in STATUS and let people vote for the ones they like, dislike,
or don't care.  That way we wouldn't be limited to the list you gave.

I've been too busy this month to care -- I came back from vacation to
find that our entire office needs to move down the street within the
next three weeks and the new office needs power, phones, network wires,
and all that other stuff designed and installed before move-in.

....Roy