httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Henk Fictorie <henk.ficto...@kpn.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade 2.0.55 -> 2.0.59 hangs SSL server
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:48:20 GMT

I did some more research on our test environment. We don't have that much
traffic in there, but I was able to reproduce the problem with manual
actions.

The culprit seems to be our setting

AcceptMutex pthread

With Apache 2.0.59:

If I kill -9 the listener process, no new listener process is created. This
causes requests to hang, only a server restart will help.

If I disable the AcceptMutex setting (defaults to fcntl) and kill -9 the
listener process, a new listener process is created. The webserver continues
to function normally.

With Apache 2.0.55
Our current production webserver is 2.0.55. The webserver is started on
August 14th. The listener process is dated August 21th. I conclude that with
Apache 2.0.55 the listener process is restarted after it dies.

We can probably change the AcceptMutex setting to fcntl. I don't know what
kind of performance penalty this will have...

Joshua Slive-2 wrote:

> On 8/28/06, Henk Fictorie <henk.fictorie@kpn.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We tried to upgrade our Apache server from 2.0.55 to 2.0.59. For HTTP
>> traffic this was successful. However for HTTPS the server would hang
>> after a
>> couple of hours (serveral hundred thousands request). Our HTTP and HTTPS
>> servers are different unix processes.
>>
>> Nothing is logged in the error logfiles, the server just stops to accept
>> new
>> connections.
>> When I try to connect to the server with the openssl command, I get the
>> CONNECTED message, but the SSL handshake does not take place.
>
> Here's instructions on how to debug hung servers:
> http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html#backtrace
>
> Joshua.

Sent from the Apache HTTP Server - Dev forum at Nabble.com.