httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Akins <brian.ak...@turner.com>
Subject Re: mod_slotmem
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:06:14 GMT
Jean-frederic Clere wrote:
> Nice stuff but I am not sure that having shared memory per slot scales
> when having a lot of entries, but that makes sure that one
> process/thread won't overwrite another one slot.

It scales very nicely.  We run with max clients set between 16k-32k with
no issues.  Our item sizes range from 64-264 bytes.  at 264 bytes and
24k max clients, it requires about 6.5 MB of shared memory and we
usually have 8-12 "slotmems" of varying sizes, so we use about 32-64 MB
of shared memory for all the "slotmems."

It is very fast as there is no locking necessary as each slot is only
every written to by a single writer (it's "tied" to a connection id).

--
Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer