httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: mod_proxy_ftp relative directory bug
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:13:57 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:

> That correction, in either http or ftp, is the business of the origin server,
> not the proxy.  For a proxy to issue it would be deeply broken.

Not really.  Consider the semantics of FTP.  FTP can serve a 'directory' with
LIST or NLST, but I'd only want that to be in response to /dir1/, not /dir1
since the later is pretty ambiguous.

But FTP has no concept of redirects, so your assertion that the FTP origin
server is responsible for a redirect is silly.  It doesn't follow web URI
conventions, so 'fitting' an FTP server into the role of a URI resource is
the job of the FTP client, or the HTTP proxy layer for an HTTP client.

I'd personally agree that if we know /dir1 is a directory resource, we should
probably teach mod_proxy_ftp to provide the /dir1/ redirect.