httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Akins <brian.ak...@turner.com>
Subject Re: Memory usage in apache
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:59:59 GMT
Ian Holsman wrote:
> Hi.
>
> now that I am a 'founder' of my own and using shared hosting, and no
> longer have millions of machines to play with I am starting to notice
> how much memory apache is using.

We generally have 4GB of ram on our webservers and let Apache use almost
every bit of it...

Could just go the "virtual server" route ala Zen or Virtuozzo. Lots of
fairly reasonable plans out there.

> so.. I was wondering if anybody has looked at a lightweight apache, or
> other ways to reduce it's memory footprint.

Once you load something like mod_python or mod_perl, it's not really
"Apache memory" that's your problem.  Apache can be slimmed down to 8-32
MB (depending on modules and config) fairly easily just by removing
unwanted cruft.  Most mod_xxx programming stuff tend to cache alot of
stuff in RAM.

--
Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer