httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: Product name - for future versions
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 01:02:29 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 12:26:23PM -0700, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>> Pretty darned quiet - either "it's summer" or nobody feels like
>>> joining the fray when Roy and Will go at it?
>> Well, Paul's talk in San Diego got me thinking. We're not really "just"
>> about HTTP any more, it's a misnomer. We're about delivering information
>> using many different protocols accross the internet. I don't know,
>> something like Internet Information Server just seems more appropriate
>> somehow.
>
> LOL :)  Well as I said; focus is on the name of what's /repos/asf/httpd/httpd
> today.  Granted, "d" might be a bit too general, but I agree with everyone
> who's said that the 'next release' aught to get a broader name than just
> plain old Apache HTTP Server.  Apache ++HTTP Server?  Apache Scheme[] Server?
> Some wordplay with MPM (since that's by far the distinguishing characteristic
> of today's httpd over all previous ones, and colors the implementation of any
> protocol that's compiled into the server.)
>
> Apache Empeem Server?

Man, naming incubator projects is hell enough, why bring that kind of
wasted time to dev@httpd?

On a serious note, For all future 1.3.x and 2.x releases, 'Apache HTTP
Server' or whatever the consensus turns out to be is fine by me.

I still stand by "Apache Server Framework" as the best choice. The ASF'S
ASF is the ultimate way to deliver data from a server :)

Anyways, I honestly don't care about this in any real manner until we
are much closer to a 3.0 stage.

-Paul