httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Enrico Weigelt <weig...@metux.de>
Subject Re: perchild
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:59:02 GMT
* Guy Hulbert <gwhulbert@eol.ca> wrote:

Hi,

> I'm looking at perchild with the aim of getting it working.

maybe you're looking for: http://www.metux.de/mpm

The project has been stalled for quite a while :(
But maybe it's time for revival ?

> In STATUS I see:
>
> Get perchild to work on platforms other than Linux. This will require a
> portable mechanism to pass data and file/socket descriptors between
> vhost child groups.

Perchild *never* worked. The idea isn't bad - we took much of it
into metuxmpm, but there were major design problems. For example:
each childs can accept clients. That's very bad, because it allows
some user to intercept another's requests with some probability.

The whole idea of passing *sockets* (instead of requests) between
processes only works on very few systems, ie. Linux, BSD and
perhaps some others. So the whole portability issue is useless -
those MPMs only work some Unix'es, and there evrythere the same.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481