httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Snow <jsno...@gatesec.net>
Subject Re: mod_proxy_ftp relative directory bug
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:16:51 GMT
Nick,

> What do you mean by 'updates the "Directory of" HREF accordingly'?
> Are you trying to say mod_proxy_ftp requests a *different* URL from
> the origin server?  If so, it sounds like a bug.

I am saying that the returned directory listing heading has the corrected path
with the trailing slash but this heading is purely information from a users
point of view. The proxy at this point knows what the correct path should be
but does not inform the client either by redirect or adjusting the directory
listing to have relative paths of the form:

dir2/somefile.txt

The proxy does request the same URL from the origin server as typed by the
client then determines through a series of ftp commands whether it is a
directory or file.

> That correction, in either http or ftp, is the business of the origin
> server, not the proxy.  For a proxy to issue it would be deeply broken.

Problem is the origin server speaks ftp but the client speaks http. The proxy
needs to intervene on the clients behalf and convert the ftp response to an
http response that the user can 'web browse'. It is the same as the proxy
converting the client's http GET request into an assortment of ftp commands
that the origin server can understand.

Regards,
Jon