httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Guy Hulbert <gwhulb...@eol.ca>
Subject Re: Tracking CGI Exec Calls
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 12:27:22 GMT
On Fri, 2006-11-08 at 13:15 +0200, Silvio Mazzaro wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm searching for a method to track calls to other programs by Perl
> Scripts (or other CGI) in a Virtual Host Environment.

What is the problem you are trying to solve ?

> For example I'd like to know what script is calling "sendmail" or other
> programs and where the 'calling script' is located (so I could
> understand what domain is calling it).

This is a hint ... do you want to prevent CGI scripts from calling
sendmail ?

> P.S.
> Actually I've tried attaching (from GNU/Linux) 'strace' to a live Apache
> instance, but I'm having problems with output filtering (I'm managing
> Servers with high load), so I hope there's something better... ;-)

I don't think there is anything better than 'strace' (except 'dtrace' on
solaris) but I have not tried using either.  Perhaps it is possible to
dump the 'strace' output so you can look at it statically.  However,
that is likely to fill a disk quickly so you would need to either dump
to a non-critical partition, or run a very short trace to calculate the
rate at which it is dumping data to disk and then run a longish one to
get enough data to analyze.

--
--gh