httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Memory usage in apache
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 05:45:00 GMT
Hi.

now that I am a 'founder' of my own and using shared hosting, and no
longer have millions of machines to play with I am starting to notice
how much memory apache is using.

most shared hosting providers who actually let you run apache usually
limit the memory you can use to something like 40 or 80m. which when
you install
mod_python means about 2 instances of apache. Others flat out refuse
to even let you run apache and force you to use something else
unspeakable and
run your applications via fastcgi
which I think is yuk... especially since the fastcgi processes seem
to die on me regularly as well.

so.. I was wondering if anybody has looked at a lightweight apache,
or other ways to reduce it's memory footprint.

regards
Ian
--
Ian Holsman