httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-frederic Clere <jfcl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: httpd-proxy-scoreboard
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:31:57 GMT
Ruediger Pluem wrote:

>On 07/26/2006 10:53 PM, Jean-frederic Clere wrote:
>

>>I already have a prototype of an external health checker process that
>>uses an AJP cping/cpong and a simple connect for http/https.
>>Basicaly mod_proxy uses the health_worker_method routine to write and
>>read from a slot mem that contains the information of the workers + a
>>health information. A balancer could check the health information before
>>using the worker. The health checker process uses the worker description
>>(thru the health_worker_method) to check if the back-end service is
>>running.
>>

>Sorry, you may have explained that before, but why using an external health
>checker process?

The idea is to have the health check independant from the requests so
that httpd knows in advance that a worker is not working.

>My thoughts are more the line to do a health check on a connection every time
>you lease it from the pool.

That means you try a worker that may be down since a while (<x seconds).
If I use something request driven, tell check every x seconds I would
like to check all workers, how to do that without slowing down the
request that causes the health check?
I will make a try ;-)

Cheers

Jean-Frederic