httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher O'Neill <ch...@chrisoneill.co.uk>
Subject mod_isapi randomly produces corrupt output
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 20:58:54 GMT
/This email was originally sent to William A. Rowe, he suggested that I
resend it to this list:/

Hi Bill,

I'm currently in the process of ensuring a web app that I have developed
for IIS works correctly with Apache's mod_isapi.  After stumbling upon
an error which caused a 500 status code to be returned on every (valid)
request, I managed to find your updated module and installed it -
eliminating this problem.

However, I have noticed a different problem: Every so often a corrupt
page will be generated (this seems to occur at random intervals - with
about10% probability I would guess).  For instance, using the HelloISAPI
example file from Microsoft's platform SDK (binary & source attached):

Expected output:

<head>
<title> HelloIsapi Sample Extension </title>
</head>
<h1> Hello ISAPI! </h1>
<hr>
This is a very simple ISAPI extension.

Unexpected output:

<title>200 OK</title>
</head><body>
<h1>OK</h1>
misconfiguration and was unable to complete
your request.</p>
 admin@local and inform them of the time the error occurred,
and anything you might have done that may have
caused the error.</p>
in the server error log.</p>
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
<title> HelloIsapi Sample Extension </title>
</head>
<h1> Hello ISAPI! </h1>
<hr>
This is a very simple ISAPI extension.<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<title>200 OK</title>
</head><body>
<h1>OK</h1>
misconfiguration and was unable to complete
your request.</p>

 admin@local and inform them of the time the error occurred,
and anything you might have done that may have
caused the error.</p>
in the server error log.</p>

As you can see, the real output seems to be wrapped inside an error
response.  The next refresh after this error is also a lot slower than
normal (perhaps the .dll is being reloaded?).  This was tested by
hitting reload at a rate of about 1 per second until the error page was
displayed.

I didn't notice this bug with the original version of mod_isapi,
unfortunately I overwrote the original with your updated version so am
unable to test.

Anyway, I hope this is useful..

- Chris