httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: proxy_worker_stat in mod_proxy]
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:59:11 GMT

On 07/10/2006 12:21 PM, Jean-frederic Clere wrote:
> Ruediger Pluem wrote:
>
> context could be used. But I am thinking of sharing the balacing
> information with another program.
> By changing proxy_worker_stat * to a void * and arranging the
> corresponding code the first step to store the shared information out of
> the scoreboard would be done then what every common area could be used
> for the shared information: I want to use shared memory instead the
> scoreboard.

This sounds reasonable to me as the stats should be available across process
boundaries and relying on the scoreboard is simple but puts on a few constraints
(especially when things should be extended). Furthermore I think that the scoreboard
is sometimes in the danger of being used as the dumping ground for shared memory
requirements of all kind. But I do not think that is had been designed for that task.
OTH not using the scoreboard does not free us from the need of managing the storage
of arbitrary balancer private data in the shared memory, because hardcoding does not
seem to be an option for me.

>> be changed. So this shouldn't really be done. Maybe worth a warning in
>> the
>> error log?
>>

> Easy. See enclosed patch.

Thanks for the patch, but I don't think that we actually should change the behaviour
as your patch does. This could break existing configs (how stupid they are).
So I would prefer only logging a warning that this is a bad configuration.

Regards

RĂ¼diger