httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-frederic Clere <jfcl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: proxy_worker_stat in mod_proxy]
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:21:10 GMT
Ruediger Pluem wrote:

>On 09.07.2006 16:37, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>

>>Ruediger Pluem wrote:
>>

>>>So it makes sense from my perspective to
>>>add a void pointer *to* the proxy_worker_stat structure to enable
>>>balancers to store custom data that is private to them.
>>>

>>This already exists. See
>>
>>    void            *context;   /* general purpose storage */
>>

>Ups, I missed that one. Thanks.

context could be used. But I am thinking of sharing the balacing
information with another program.
By changing proxy_worker_stat * to a void * and arranging the
corresponding code the first step to store the shared information out of
the scoreboard would be done then what every common area could be used
for the shared information: I want to use shared memory instead the
scoreboard.

> Thus the only problem that remains with that is
>that one worker might be shared by multiple balancers with different methods (if
>this configuration makes sense is another story). This could cause problems if
>the different balancers use different balancing methods. OTH from a quick look
>at the code I assume that this configuration would be problematic anyway as
>reusing an existing worker in a balancer causes the parameters of the worker to
> be changed. So this shouldn't really be done. Maybe worth a warning in the
>error log?

Easy. See enclosed patch.