httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollu...@p6m7g8.com>
Subject gdb in realloc(): error: junk pointer, too high to make sense on FreeBSD 5.2+
Date Mon, 03 Jul 2006 03:27:57 GMT
Hi,

2 years ago, PR: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/68727
was filed about gdb itself segfaulting when trying to debug httpd.
This PR hasn't seen any action AFAIK.

This has been slowly driving me mad as you can not debug any httpd startup code.
Which coincidentally also prevents you from debugging mod_perl startup code and most likely
mod_* (php,ruby,tcl,java,python)

I did some painstakingly slow "stepping" through httpd code today:

Basically after apr_dso_load() calls dlopen()  (OS level Freebsd version) the
SECOND time through (httpd parses the config twice)
The first LoadModule line (doesn't matter which) crashes gdb.

I can reliably reproduce this on _ALL_ versions of FreeBSD from 5.2 through 6.1-STABLE and
on -CURRENT.
and ALL versions of httpd 2.0.48+ or 2.2.x

Attached is the information I was able to collect, but at this point, I'm in WAY over my head.

[Apologies for the cross post, feel free to spam me in return]

gdb -v
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]

gcc -v
gcc version 3.4.4 [FreeBSD] 20050518

I've also seen it on EVERY version of gdb in the ports tree combined with any version of gcc
in the ports tree.
/usr/local/bin/gcc32
/usr/local/bin/gcc33
/usr/local/bin/gcc34
/usr/local/bin/gcc40
/usr/local/bin/gcc41
/usr/local/bin/gcc42

"In all that I've done wrong I know I must have done something right to
deserve a hug every morning and butterfly kisses at night."