httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Lai Yiu Fai <>
Subject Re: Simple API for HTTP GET?
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 02:45:49 GMT

I have asked similar question before and looking for solution sticked with
Apache 2.x codebase only.  Some replied to take a look at mod_proxy_http and
mod_include module as they do the exact thing.  However, it is complicated
and hard to understand up to my knowledge about Apache internal.

I agree that these HTTP/HTTPS GET API are common in module writing and
should provide handy APIs for module developer.  It should be glad if
someone can give more details about the solution.

On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 06:54:19PM -0700, Paul Querna wrote:
> Bryan Field-Elliot wrote:
> >We are building a module which, among other things, needs to do a simple
> >HTTP GET (or HTTPS GET) from another website. Operationally this will be
> >very similar to what mod_proxy does, though our module serves a
> >completely different purpose.
> >
> >My question is, in the Apache 2.x codebase, is there a simple API call,
> >in any of the utility files, which can make this easier for us?
> >
> >e.g. an API call such as: "char* http_get(char* url)", which could be
> >invoked from any module...
> I recommend that you use Serf:
> *cough* Someone still needs to make a website for Serf, but as a library
> it works quite nicely.
> For an example of using serf inside a module, checkout mod_serf, which
> does reverse proxying:
> Another option is libcurl:
> The curl_easy api is quite easy. If you just want simple GETs, it might
> be the smallest lines of code to implement.
> -Paul

View raw message