httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: hot standby in proxy added
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 22:54:46 GMT
Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> On 07/11/2006 10:41 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > I've folded in my impl of hot-standby for proxy workers...
> > check out trunk. I'm sure there is tuning to be done, but
> > it's a functional impl that minimizes the code touched.
>
> Just to be sure that I got the correct understanding of the hot-standby worker:
>
> The hot-standby worker is the last resort if the site would be otherwise dead.
> The hot-standby worker can be used e.g. to display a maintenance page or a simpler
> version of the site or if you can affort the full site from an environment that
> only consumes power during a healthy state of the site.
>
> This would be different from a disabled worker which would be elected if the session
> route matches, but which would not be elected by a balancer algorithm. This is the
> way it works in mod_jk, but currently does not work in mod_proxy_balancer. Once I
> get some spare cycles I would like to make this work and make the small changes needed
> for this.
> With this feature you can prefer "local" workers, but you can keep session stickyness
> for requests that do not origin from this "local" worker.

This is actually coming :)

My thoughts are how to make this better; overloading the concept
of "disabled" workers to mean multiple things depending on
different situations seems glocky to me. Stopped should mean
stopped, disabled should mean disabled.

I do like the distance attribute and am looking at the best
way to impl something similar while still keeping things as
abstracted out as possible. Almost a sort of "balancer set"
would be nice, where, for example, you define a balancer
set with some members as set #1, and they would "always" be
chosen (and looked at for LB) and set #2 (and later) would only
be considered if no one in set #1 is available.