httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Guy Hulbert <gwhulb...@eol.ca>
Subject Re: load balancer "cluster" set
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:16:34 GMT
On Mon, 2006-31-07 at 18:03 +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> > Load balancing really belongs at the network layer.
>
> I disagree. Load balancing should happen at the layer most capable of
> making the most effective balancing decisions.
>
> At the network layer, your metrics are pretty much "volume of data" or

Nope.

Routers can look at anything in the packets which is not encrypted.
They can also measure server response (by packet stats) directly or via
SNMP.  There are all sorts of things that *cannot* be done on the server
without introducing all sorts of p2p communications requirements.

As I said, this was all done 10 years ago.

However, you may not be able to wait until the linux router project
picks this up .... (but it might be worth looking to see what is
available).

--
--gh