httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Guy Hulbert <gwhulb...@eol.ca>
Subject Re: load balancer "cluster" set
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:42:39 GMT
On Mon, 2006-31-07 at 16:54 +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> > Why ?
>
> Because it's useful?

Nope.

Load balancing really belongs at the network layer.

IBM released free load-balancing software for linux and windows about
1997.  My former employer's integration group (about 3 people) got a
fully redundant implementation running (on 4 pcs) in about 4 months.

The company abandoned the free s/w version for hardware implementations
on Cisco gear (and others) within about 6 months.  I'm sure the price
for proprietary hardware has dropped substantially since then.

But, I suppose, if people want it ...

--
--gh