httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: [Patch]: Do not compress bodies of header only requests in mod_deflate
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:43:56 GMT

On 18/07/2006, at 8:06 AM, Ruediger Pluem wrote:

>> (I can't think of any which do this BTW)
>>
>> are you seeing a problem somewhere Ruediger?
>
> The biggest problem at the moment is that I fear that I do not get
> your point correctly :-).
> So some explanations from your side would be very helpful to get
> myself on the correct track.

the question i'm asking is why bother.

how many HEADs would a typical site get?
I'd imagine about <1%.  and i'm also guessing that most of these
would be from robots (who don't care about response time)  so this
patch will have little or no impact on resource utilization on the
machine itself.

Is this a DoS threat your trying to avoid?
I think there are easier ways to DoS a httpd server, so it's not this

so my question again

are you seeing a problem?

because if there isn't a problem all you are doing is adding another
code path and potential entry point for bugs.