httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Trawick" <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: debug apache
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 18:15:32 GMT
On 6/20/06, Alexander Lazic <al-httpddev@none.at> wrote:
> On Mon 19.06.2006 07:07, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> >
> >If httpd *developers* are interested, we should decide what type of
> >processing is acceptable/required first and worry about whether it can
> >be fitted into apr second. As I recall from the last discussion of this
> >perhaps 15 months ago, most all of the interest was from web admin
> >lurkers, and there was insufficient developer interest anyway.
>
> Ok from your point of view *all* admins *must* be a little *developer*
> to be able to dig into the httpd/apr-source if a wished config don't
> work as assumed, no help from poduct to help to find the error :-(
>
> Well i'am very unhappy about this conclusion but well it's an market
> leader worthily.
>
> From me i take that in the near future there will not be a help to find
> config errors without truss/strace or other generic tools.

I certainly don't mean any negative feelings towards admins.  My
"conclusion" is simply the combination of

* firm belief that this type of feature shouldn't be added to the
software without multiple motivated developers
* expectation that there wouldn't be multiple motivated developers

A past discussion of very closely related functionality, though not
exactly what you asked for originally, yielded multiple interested
admin-type folks and no developers expressing interest other than
myself.