httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Trawick" <>
Subject Re: AW: restructuring mod_ssl as an overlay
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 14:37:22 GMT
On 6/8/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <> wrote:
> Plüm wrote:
> >
> >>Von: Joe Orton
> >>I don't see why it's necessary for the ASF to be in
> >>the business of distributing binaries; letting other people assume the
> >>technical and legal responsibilites for doing that seems reasonable.
> Ahhh, the preface of what Roy pointed out.  Yes of course, since that's
> what pays your salary I'm not terribly surprised...

tread lightly...  very easy to be misinterpreted here, particularly by
random users...

> ("other people" being
> the Red Hats, IBMs, Covalents, HPs, Suns etc etc.)

Just curious: does anybody in that boat actually think that anything
we httpd-ers could do with packaging httpd (binaries, SSL,etc.) would
conceivably compete with what our employers are providing?  (I find
that preposterous personally)

(OTOH, if there is a solid business case for providing simply a binary
of httpd with suitable features that is known to work on at least some
handful of machines, please let me know ;) )

View raw message