httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Matty <>
Subject Re: [] Re: debug apache
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2006 21:16:59 GMT

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006, Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> On 06/18/2006 02:49 PM, Mathieu CARBONNEAUX wrote:
>> i think is very usefull to have this in production environment... to debug probleme
without interupting production... in only up the log level with reload...
>> with strace you must restart apache with strace...and for desactivating it you must
restart... in some production environement is not acceptable...
> Why that? You can attach strace to running processes, provided that you have appropriate
permissions on this process. So
> you might need root access for this.
> Of course I admit that the strace / ltrace output is generic and a more specific output
by logging inside the hooks
> could provide better information.

If you have a Solaris 10 host handy, you can get at this information with
the DTrace pid provider. It allows you to enable probes dynamically on
user-level functions, and is an invaluable tool for debugging stuff in

- Ryan
UNIX Administrator

View raw message