httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Mendonce, Kiran (STSD)" <kiran.mendo...@hp.com>
Subject RE: Question on multi-process CGID
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 18:14:27 GMT

>It depends on where the real bottleneck is.
>
>Most of the time, if you are unable to cope with the volume of incoming
CGI requests, its because your CGIs themselves are slow to start.

>For example, if your CGIs are coded in Perl, just starting them can
take a long time, which is independent of mod_cgi(d).

>If your CGIs are written in C, then the startup time is minimal.

No, the CGIs are not in perl. They are either shell scripts or C
programs. Strangely, Apache 1.3 performs better than Apache 2.0.xx with
the worker MPM when the CGIs are C programs or shell scripts. We did the
benchmarking with the ab utility. Anyone has similar experiences ? And
any idea why that should be the case ?

Thanks,
Kiran