httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: restructuring mod_ssl as an overlay
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 01:58:27 GMT
On Jun 7, 2006, at 4:53 PM, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 04:32:40PM -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> We also cannot go to one of those countries and agitate for people
>> to download a copy of httpd and run their own web server
>
> Who's "we"? Members of the ASF? Members of the PMC? committers?
> developers?

"We" is anyone representing the ASF.  How (or who) would determine
that is anyone's guess.

More links

    http://www.exportcontrolblog.com/

    http://www.stanford.edu/dept/DoR/exp_controls/index.html

    http://www.bis.doc.gov/deemedexports/deemedexportsfaqs.html#17

The EAR guidelines are insanely complicated because they are basically
a summary of various laws and executive directives.  It is FUBAR, but
violating them can be subject to civil and criminal penalties in the US.
I think that's why most of the companies stay conservative and simply
ban all export to anyone on the lists.

....Roy