httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Darryl Miles <darryl-mailingli...@netbauds.net>
Subject Re: mod_proxy_balancer/mod_proxy_ajp TODO
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:55:07 GMT
Henri Gomez wrote:

> Well you we always indicate some sort of CPU power for a remote (a sort
> of bogomips) and use this in computation.

Why should the CPU power matter, what if the high power CPU is getting
all the complex requests and the lower power CPU is ending up with
simple request (static content).

You are better implementing it in control packets over AJP that can
advertise that hosts current willingness to take on new requests on a
32/64bit scale.  Call this a "flow control back pressure packet", a
stateless beacon of information which may or may not be used by the
client AJP.

Then have a pluggable implementation at the server end of calculating
that value and frequency for advertising it.  All the apache LB has to
do is work from that load calculation.  All existing AJPs have to do is
just ignore the packet.

In the case of different horse power CPUs that factor is better fed into
the server AJP algorithm by biasing the advertised willingness to take
on new requests after a certain low level is reached.  Only the server
end of the AJP know the true request rate and how near that system is to
breaking point.

This scheme also works where apache may not see all the work the backend
is doing, like if you have a different apache front end clusters linked
to the same single backend cluster.

Darryl