httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: Question on multi-process CGID
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 20:43:50 GMT
Mendonce, Kiran (STSD) wrote:

>> It depends on where the real bottleneck is.
>>
>> Most of the time, if you are unable to cope with the volume of incoming
> CGI requests, its because your CGIs themselves are slow to start.
>> For example, if your CGIs are coded in Perl, just starting them can
> take a long time, which is independent of mod_cgi(d).
>> If your CGIs are written in C, then the startup time is minimal.
>
> No, the CGIs are not in perl. They are either shell scripts or C
> programs. Strangely, Apache 1.3 performs better than Apache 2.0.xx with
> the worker MPM when the CGIs are C programs or shell scripts. We did the
> benchmarking with the ab utility. Anyone has similar experiences ? And
> any idea why that should be the case ?

I believe you really need to look at identifying the bottleneck. I have
a hard time believing the speed of fork()+execv() is truly the cause of
your problems.

Last time I tested 2.x, C-programs for me were about 1-2% slower with
the Worker MPM, compared to the prefork MPM+mod_cgi.

I don't consider it significant, because of the other advantages to the
worker MPM.