httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: mod_proxy_balancer/mod_proxy_ajp TODO
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 20:10:09 GMT

On 06/19/2006 06:21 PM, Mladen Turk wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm would like to give few notes on the things I'm
> currently working on, so that eventually no duplicate
> work is done if someone already have similar things
> on his drawing board.
>
> 1. Additional by business load balancing method
>    that will load balance on the actual load of the
>    beckend servers. The servers that have shorter reply
>    time will get more load.

Sounds good.

> 2. Hot standby support. Something we have recently added
>    to the mod_jk that allows to have the 'hot-standby'
>    backend node, that sits there and does nothing until
>    all the other nodes fail.

+1

> 3. CPING/CPONG support for the AJP protocol, for checking
>    the status of the backend server prior of sending the
>    data itself.

+1. Just one thought: I think it would be useful to have this 'health check'
    approach somewhat generic so that we can implement the call to it inside mod_proxy
    and its connection pooling itself (e.g. with providers supplied by schema
    handlers / modules). For AJP this would be CPING/CPONG of course and
    mod_proxy itself could offer a generic TCP connection 'health check' provider that simply
    checks the status of a TCP connection as far as this is possible without
    reading or writing data. This would be a very generic provider. Other protocol
    handlers could define other (better) protocol specific providers and
    just plug them in.

Regards

RĂ¼diger

P.S: Are you in Dublin next week?