httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: Question on multi-process CGID
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 19:59:59 GMT
Mendonce, Kiran (STSD) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We had a scenario where the worker MPM was not performing as expected.
> The bottleneck was identified as a single CGI daemon not being able to
> cope with the volume of CGI requests coming in. So I made some changes
> to convert the single process CGI daemon to multi-process. On multiple
> CPU machines, there is a marginal increase in performance but not to the
> extent that we expected. Any ideas on how I can improve performance ?
> Mod_perl and mod_fastcgi are not acceptable solutions since it's a pure
> CGI environment we are dealing with.

It depends on where the real bottleneck is.

Most of the time, if you are unable to cope with the volume of incoming
CGI requests, its because your CGIs themselves are slow to start.

For example, if your CGIs are coded in Perl, just starting them can take
a long time, which is independent of mod_cgi(d).

If your CGIs are written in C, then the startup time is minimal.

-Paul