httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: restructuring mod_ssl as an overlay
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2006 22:55:30 GMT
>>>So, I'm wondering how effective a liability shield it is for a US-based
>>>corporation to export such content via non-US-based distributors. It
>>>seems odd that this would work legally, but that SPI/Debian did it for
>>>so long sparks my interest; maybe there is a path through.
>>
>>I have no idea what the Debian story is, but that is not an option for
>>a number of reasons.  Here's the biggest reason, the same U.S.
>>government entity that controls our exports also controls reexport
>>from any other country of goods that were previously exported from the
>>U.S.
>
> I've been reading http://www.debian.org/legal/cryptoinmain and it looks
> like they shifted the liability to their developers personally, who
> exported-by-proxy.

And this is why an unexported httpd win32 binary has sat in my home on our
US server, undistributed, for about four years ;-)  At the ASF this is not
an acceptable conclusion; the ASF exists to help developers innovate, and
that includes making some legal assessments, issuing policy and then standing
behind that policy.

Bill