httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r411306 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/aaa/mod_authnz_ldap.c
Date Sun, 04 Jun 2006 08:42:44 GMT
Brad Nicholes wrote:

>> Should we define our own macro which uses LDAP_SECURITY_ERROR or the
>> more detailed logic, to keep the mainline code cleaner and support
>> reuse in other paths
>
> I thought about that and couldn't really decide if we should define the
> LDAP_SECURITY_ERROR macro in the ldap header in apr-util or not.  I
> finally decided that if we started down that road then there are
> probably a lot more macros and other differences between the LDAP SDKs
> and how far should we take it.  So rather than try to redefine all of
> the missing macros and  force a dependancy on between httpd and
> apr-util, I would just solve it in authnz_ldap.  We could certainly
> rethink this and try to solve it in apr-util instead.

apr_util already defines a number of macros for the purposes of
standardising them, particularly for the SSL/TLS stuff where every LDAP
toolkit insisted on doing it differently, so we have already gone down
that road.

Standardising the macros is one thing that apr_util helps with to make
LDAP access toolkit independent.

The best solution IMHO is to add APU_LDAP_something to apr_util
depending on how the different toolkits handle LDAP_SECURITY_ERROR (Does
this macro mean security error?). Will have to look at the different
toolkits to work out what "something" should be.

In the mean time though the patch is reasonable as is, it can be changed
once apr_util is patched and another apr_util is released.

Regards,
Graham