httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy_balancer/mod_proxy_ajp TODO
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:24:32 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm would like to give few notes on the things I'm
> currently working on, so that eventually no duplicate
> work is done if someone already have similar things
> on his drawing board.
>
> 1. Additional by business load balancing method
>     that will load balance on the actual load of the
>     beckend servers. The servers that have shorter reply
>     time will get more load.

If this maps what's currently been done in mod_jk, than
a big +1. It's been on my todo but have simply not
had the cycles to do. I liked the new busyness
algo, but then there was a total rewrite (well,
not total) of it all, most likely since mod_jk doesn't
want to use providers, that makes all the lb determination
"by value"... I was thinking about extended the LB structs
to also include some sort of LB lbstatus calculation
which meant another cool abstraction and making the
whole make-lb-algos-independent closer to reality.

> 2. Hot standby support. Something we have recently added
>     to the mod_jk that allows to have the 'hot-standby'
>     backend node, that sits there and does nothing until
>     all the other nodes fail.

+1

> 3. CPING/CPONG support for the AJP protocol, for checking
>     the status of the backend server prior of sending the
>     data itself.

This will be cool, but I don't think too easy. Still +1
for the effort :)