httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite performance proposal
Date Sat, 10 Jun 2006 20:38:12 GMT
On Saturday 10 June 2006 20:53, Aaron Crane wrote:
> I've noticed a performance issue on a large site that makes heavy use of
> txt RewriteMaps.

El Reg, by any chance[1]?

> I'd like to propose an alternative implementation of txt
> maps to deal with the issue.

What you propose makes sense if we accept current behaviour
is a problem.  Indeed, it's arguably OTT to look up anything
per-request if you're cacheing in-memory.

But it begs the question: if lookup is a performance issue,
wouldn't a switch to DBM Rewritemaps be the obvious fix?

> I'd welcome any feedback anyone could offer on this proposal.  I'm happy to
> do the work myself; is there a reasonable chance something along these
> lines would be accepted if I do?  If not, what changes would be needed to
> make this suitable for httpd?

Speaking from a position of ignorance on the workings of RewriteMap,
I think I like it.  And if you're offering to do the work, it sounds like
a good offer to me.  So that's a cautious +1.

[1] a guess based on your talk at last year's ApacheCon.

--
Nick Kew