httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Colm MacCarthaigh <>
Subject Re: restructuring mod_ssl as an overlay
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 02:59:22 GMT
On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 06:58:27PM -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> "We" is anyone representing the ASF.  How (or who) would determine
> that is anyone's guess.

eek. Who is burdened with that liability? I'm guessing it's the ASF as a
body corporate and possibly its directors personally.

If that's the case, then the Foundation needs to decide if it's
comfortable with a legal release policy that depends on the continued
voluntary non-promotion of our software by ASF members and (probably)
PMCs within those countries intersected with the goodwill of whoever
makes the determination we're talking about.

As the ASF lacks, afaik, a method of keeping anyone in-line, so to
speak, that would seem dubious at best and completely untennable at

The vagueness of the regulation, and I'm guessing an absense of
case-law, means that ultimately it's a complex judgement call as to what
level of risk people are willing to accept, and to me it looks like it's
up to the foundation to come back to us and tell us whether or not they
are comfortable with that.

>From the httpd point of view, it does seem a potentially very unstable
policy requirement, but probably workable in the real world. Still, it
gets murky around the edges, like should we stop letting
know when we make releases? There are all sorts of ways in which this
policy could never be anything close to watertight.

One thing which is important though is that I'd hope that if we ever had
developers based in any of those countries, that we'd encourage their
involvement regardless - which could be extremely awkward within such a

This isn't so unlikely as it may seem, iirc it came very close to at
least one PMC member's nation being on the list a while back.

Thanks for the links, good reading!

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key:

View raw message