httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Laying undead myths to rest
Date Mon, 08 May 2006 13:25:46 GMT
> There are a few undead "apache myths" still floating around,
> due to clueless third-party tutorials.  I wonder if there's any value
> in countering these zombies with specific notes in our documentation.
>
> Here's an example patch of the kind I have in mind:

There isn't much hope to fight this sort of thing when it is still the
only recommended configuration in the php docs:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.unix.apache2.php

If you still want to add a note, I suggest something more along the lines of

In very early versions of the Apache HTTP Server, the
<directive>AddType</directive> directive was also used to activate
special server-side processing (such as <module>mod_include</module>
or PHP) by assigning "magic" MIME types to files.  This  can create
problems in more recent versions and should be avoided in favor of

Joshua.