httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Gonzalo Arana" <gonzalo.ar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Possible new cache architecture
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 18:35:33 GMT
Seems to me that the thundering herd / performance degradation is
inherent to apache design: all threads/processes are exact clones.

A more suitable design for this task I think would be to make each
process to have a special purpose: cache maintenance (purging expired
entries, purging entries to make room for new ones, creating new
entries, and so on), request processing (network/disk I/O, content
filtering, and so on), or what ever.

This way, performance degradation caused by cache mutex can be
minimized.  Request processors would only get queued/locked when
querying the cache, which can be made a single operation if cache is
smart enough to figure out the right response from original request,
right?

Regards,

--
Gonzalo A. Arana