httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Graham Leggett" <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Possible new cache architecture
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 13:40:30 GMT
On Tue, May 2, 2006 3:24 pm, Brian Akins said:

>> - the cache says "cool, will send my copy upstream. Oops, where has my
>> data gone?".

> So, the cache says, okay must get content the old fashioned way (proxy,
> filesystem, magic fairies, etc.).
>
> Where's the issue?

To rephrase it, a whole lot of extra code, which has to be written and
debugged, has to say "oops, ok sorry backend about the If-None-Match, I
thought I had it cached but I actually didn't, please can I have the full
file?". Then the backend gives you a response with different headers to
those you already delivered to the frontend. Oops.

Keeping the code as simple as possible will keep your code bug free, which
means less time debugging for you, and less time for end users trying to
figure out what the cause is of their weird symptoms.

Regards,
Graham