httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: test/zb.c
Date Mon, 08 May 2006 23:20:16 GMT

On May 8, 2006, at 9:10 AM, Thom May wrote:

> * Garrett Rooney (rooneg@electricjellyfish.net) wrote :
>> On 5/8/06, Thom May <thom@planetarytramp.net> wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>> just had a report in debian that test/zb.c's license doesn't
>>> necessarily
>>> allow you to modify and redistribute the code. A quick grep
>>> around doesn't
>>> reveal any uses of this code in our tree, and given that we have
>>> support/ab.c it seems strange to carry both.
>>> Can we just drop it?
>>
>> Isn't ab.c derived from zb.c?  If so, isn't that kind of problematic
>> with regard to this licensing issue?
>>
> No, ab.c is licensed under the apache license. I assume, although
> I've not
> checked, that there's a grant from Zeus on file that allowed us to
> relicense the code for ab.

The log message that kicks off ab.c:

r80572 | rse | 1998-03-17 04:46:42 -0800 (Tue, 17 Mar 1998) | 19 lines

Include of the new "ApacheBench" support program:

   o base is ZeusBench 1.0 from Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd.

   o includes enhancements by Dean from November 1997 for keepalive,
SunOS4,
     etc. pp. which were already committed to src/test/zb.c

   o cleanups and enhancements by Ralf from March 1998: command line
     parsing, new options, URL-like target specification, manual page,
     Apache-style code indentation, etc.

   o !!IMPORTANT!! personal license agreement from March 1998 with
Adam Twiss
     from Zeus Technology (see message
     <199803171224.NAA24547@en1.engelschall.com> in apache-core
mailing list
     for reference) to include this version into the Apache
distribution the
     way it currently is. So, don't change copyright messages or other
     license stuff there, please. The program itself can now be
enhanced or
     changed in any way.