httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.com>
Subject Re: Laying undead myths to rest
Date Thu, 11 May 2006 05:18:35 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Joseph Dane wrote:
>> Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> writes:
>>
>>> In very early versions of the Apache HTTP Server, the
>>> <directive>AddType</directive> directive was also used to activate
>>> special server-side processing (such as <module>mod_include</module>
>>> or PHP) by assigning "magic" MIME types to files.  This  can create
>>> problems in more recent versions and should be avoided in favor of
>>
>> for the record (not necessarily for the docs) can you expand on the
>> sort of problems that might arise?
>
> It actually avoids more problems than it creates, consider the
> example.php.txt
> file, which if done with AddHandler will always run through the php
> handler,
> while if done with mime types will devolve to text/plain through the
> standard
> handler (which is what's implied by the filename ordering.)

Right, which is not what the average Joe expects.

Nick, these ****'s over here were actually around in 1996 when this was
added and understand very well the difference between AddType and
AddHandler.  The folks who understand the difference can of course use
either, but for those who don't, AddType's behaviour is the one people
understand.  If we asked people to go and change all their AddTypes to
AddHandler it could actually cause a number of nasty security problems
so we have no motivation to do that.

-Rasmus